Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Rental Scam

A few days ago Jay received some interest in renting our house. Our previous renter moved out so it is available again if you are interested. Anyway, below is the email he received on Monday. It sounded too good to be true so we researched it some online and found out that it is too good to be true. They basically send you too much money and then want you to wire them the difference.


Hello, I really appreciate your timely response.I want you to know that am very much serious about renting the house and very much willing to offer two month rent plus the security deposit in order to secure this unit prior to my arrival. You can send me the lease application, to enable me to review it ahead of time I will be in the states for the next one year and during my stay I will be working with the Culligan International Corp on a private engineering work.I will be working with George .W Tamke, the Chief Executive Officer you can contact him on 832-615-1294. I have a financier that is based in the States and he will be handling the rent deposit payment on my behalf, I will instruct him to send you a Certified Check for this as soon as you give me the go ahead to make out payment to you.Due to the limited time that we have before our arrival,we are making arrangements with a furniture company to supply the home with furnitures,so we will need you to provide us with the measurements of the living room and bedroom so that we can send it to the furniture company so that they can supply the unit with furniture that will fit in well. Also send me a picture viewing the living room and the bed rooms
As regards the lease agreement, I want you to send it to me for my review. I will eventually have it filled and signed on my arrival in your place as I am of the opinion that such documents are best filled and signed physically. We can start the lease by December 1st and I will be doing a one year lease. You can prepare the lease in my name. Let me know how to move ahead as I intend to complete this deal before I move in a couple of days. I want all the arrangement to be solidified so I settle in comfortably when I arrive. I will let you know the exact date as soon as I get a booking on a flight to the states. I will look forward to your e mail with the required information.Thanks and sincere regards from me and my precious family. I await your urgent response.

1 comment:

thegrayway said...

Do what? There has been some activity at the house. Some work trucks were there then I saw a car in the driveway. Oh, and thanks for taking care of my hubby. He thinks he's a full blown island boy now.