Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Our St. John trip

Jay surprised me with a trip to St. John last Wednesday. He had the kids give me my boarding pass when I came home from my meeting on Wednesday. Thank goodness I got to pack for myself.  We left early Thursday morning.  Thanks to Bridget and Mary for taking great care of our kids!  We landed in San Juan to catch a puddle jumper to St. Thomas and then drive over to the barge and then over to St. John.

We had a blast on St. John.  Drinks at the Tap Room, dinner at the Majettes' and boating to the BVI's.  It does not get much better than that!  Thanks to the Majette's and Eric for planning such a wonderful 40th birthday weekend for me!

On our way home is when the trouble started.  Our flight out of San Juan had some mechanical problems.  After boarding the plane they had us deplane to try to fix the problem.  We waited and then tried to get out on a flight to Charlotte with a connection to Atlanta. We were 2 minutes away from getting our seats when they said problem had been fixed and we were good to go.  We got our tickets switched back expecting to leave minutes later.  No such luck. The cancelled the flight due to mechanical issues and it was too late to get on the Charlotte flight.  That meant we got to spend the night in the "airport hotel" also known as the Best Western.  When Jay checked in they told him not to use the toilet because the water was not working!  We had met another couple who were also travelling back to Atlanta so we all headed to Outback Steak house to celebrate my birthday!

We went to bed early in anticipation of our 7am flight to Atlanta.  At 4:30 Jay got a call saying our flight was delayed till noon.  He asked me what I thought we should do and I said "get me off of that plane"  We ended up working with the couple we had met, Trey and Julie, to get out on an American flight to Miami with a connection to Atlanta.  Departure time, 6:15.  It didn't matter, we were up and the hotel was awful!  All of those flights ended up going off without a hitch.  It turns out they ended up cancelling the Delta flight we were supposed to be on, again.  All that travelling Jay does paid off.  He had a direct number to Delta and they were so helpful and accommodating.

It was a great birthday!  

No comments: